Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Invisible Lines, part three




Our third painting from the works of Edward Hopper, selected by Rob, is Summer Evening, 1947. Our three stories are below.

 Summer Evening
Robert Dennard


I am so sick of this. I feel like I rarely manage to contribute anything and gain even less. It’s as though, no matter how hard I try, no matter how much care or thought I put into every interaction, always establishing a common interest in conversation, remembering facts about others, inquiring into their happiness and just being plain old polite. I am always left lonesome, riddled with self-humiliation, wondering why I even bother, and would anyone notice if I was no longer here. It’s as though, without my input, without my asking or making the first move with those I meet, I would be forever stood in silence. Those around me are always exchanging interest in each other’s lives, but never with me. I am always the one asking, never being asked. This feeling of un-want, of neglect, has always been brushed aside, sheltered in my subconscious by other permutations of frustration at myself and my thoughts. Convincing myself that I read too far into what those around me think; inventing this reality of neglectful interactions by way of coping with, no....not coping with, heeding an inherent lack of self-worth, juxtaposed with paranoia. I am so sick of this.

I could return to the nullified seclusion of a former dependency, sticking pins in everywhere possible, until the only hole remaining screams and chokes as I take the plunge into a concrete shoed nothingness, in amongst the reed coated bed of a forgotten river: the water of which we skimmed stones and kissed in the long grass, many eons ago. You would watch and pay little notice to my demise, with the silent stare you hold at me now. Of all the introverted bitterness surrounding you I have never felt, then ultimately known, how to hate so strong. Segregated from a passion of the past, I find myself at a wits end when in a constant head hung stance of unjustified guilt in your presence. Why do you plague me with such cold contempt? When did you change? When did the smiling, dancing laughter of our love dissolve into a drawn grey grimace of an empty mind? I mean nothing to you now, is that right? Is that it? If so then why do you keep me here, a prisoner in my own life?

Free me, Jailor! Free me from this husk of an aged unity, I shall walk from this veranda and merge into the darkness yonder, taking the faceless fruit of our passions with me as I seek an end in the encroaching black of the wild outside. May the memory of your neglect burden you as the unkindness you dealt to me burdens the hope we had in the unborn. I sincerely hope your hate is justified for thee, justified in your view by the denying of a life, a life that we seeded but never bloomed. You never wanted it anyway did you, and now it can never happen. Who gives you the right? And why do I still sit here being hatefully ignored, in this deafening silence? 
 
Summer Evening
Katy Park

He is not coming home. I lay on the floor and I wait for him. I imagine the door slamming, once and once again. I plan to be busy as he walks in, and think of various poses and activities that will prevent him from seeing that I am waiting. I practice laying in different places. I play with the child. I sing and I stare at the crisp linen ceiling. I am an imitation of a life, pretending and waiting. He is not coming home.
 
As the day turns blue with night, I find myself outside. Standing and breathing the air - a believable enough occupation on a night so smooth and silent. I lean against the wood and imagine I can feel the years it spent as a tree pressing into my back like fingertips. I ask it to stop.
 
He is standing next to me.
 
Summer Evening
Thom Kofoed
 
“I can’t believe Fran is being like this.“ she said and then paused and looked across at me. In the silence I realised that I hadn’t been listening since she had told me about her dog and the time up at the lake by Billy’s old place, and now she was talking about Fran and swirling a number eight into the dust on the porch with her foot.
Fran with the birthmark on the tip of her elbow.
Fran with her tiny shoes.
Fran the girl I had kissed once, between Spring and Summer as fireworks banged and sizzled and swished. The girl who pulled away and put her hand on her mouth. The girl who giggled and twisted her orange hair around her fingers and said “You’re quite something,” and then “you really, really are.”
June was still looking across at me, her face made up of triangles and squares, and I jumped upon the first thing I could think of and said “It isn’t your fault, June” and her face softened and became a circle in the moonlight.
The porch light flickered and then stopped and two moths fizzed in its heat. She smiled a half smile across one side of her face and looked down at the eight on the floor. She didn’t speak. I supposed I had said the right thing so followed it up with “You’re a good kid, June” and patted her leg; a physical full stop, a lid, a line drawn underneath.
She scooted backwards on the porch wall and tucked her hands underneath her thighs and I scuttled away and sat down on the porch step beneath the empty bowl sky. I could feel her loneliness like an animal behind me, felt its breath low and heavy on my neck, and I adjusted my collar and scratched at my head. June began to whistle and the noise sounded alien amongst the trees. They sat still inside the evening as if they had been replaced by photographs. The whole night was a picture torn from a catalogue, a postcard, a scene from the back of a cereal box. It was real and imagined and June felt familiar and new all at once. Somewhere behind the house I heard a car backfire once and then twice and she whispered "She isn't yours to fix, June" as she kicked through the dust and made a tiny tornado with her feet.


No comments:

Post a Comment