Monday, September 30, 2013

Hastings Online Times


I have started contributing to the Hastings Online Times and my first two stories are now live. The first is called "This town that is my soil" and can be read here.

"The tide is heavy today and it looks like a tongue and the sky is the roof of a mouth and the town that seems so tiny now because I am twenty-six is going to be swallowed, I’m sure of it. I imagine it not being here. I imagine a hole in its place, a bite mark on a map, the concave of a rock that recognises my back and me, alone with a past that doesn’t exist anymore."

The second, "When we go back to the sea" can be read here.

We stop near the pier and you run across the road and I’m behind you, walking cautiously. It is dark and the sea is a still, black velvet blanket and the stones are just sounds under our feet. We walk beneath the scorched frame because you want to show me the silhouette made by the moon and it’s beautiful and I’m not scared though I hear people in the blackness. You put your arms around my shoulders and they are warm and porous and sip up my cold.

Perhaps you could read them and if you see me in the street some time you might let me know what you think of it all.

1 comment: