Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Margot and her hat

She looked smaller than I remembered, her red coat like a gown hanging from her shoulders, fastened up to her neck as precise as a math equation.
Margot was eating toffee pennies, folding their gold wrappers into quarters, putting them inside her pocket and chewing with her mouth open when she finally saw me standing in front of her. 
We had been here once before, some months earlier, when the sun shone a different colour on the trees; Margot in her hat, the sound of water somewhere in the distance.
She popped another toffee penny into her mouth, stroked her cheek with the inside of her hand and smiled the small smile of a young girl embarrassed by the idea of herself. It made her seem even tinier to me and I felt my heart pull inside my chest as the wind played music amongst the leaves and echoed up into the sky. A breath between two moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment