Tuesday, March 05, 2013

First

He took me to a bookstore that first day (and the race track a little later, although I'm not sure now if that part really happened at all) and we looked for a book with two grey birds on the cover that he had read when he was younger. I hadn't really noticed his face before or, more accurately, noticed how his features made up his face, and I found myself tracing the lines around his eyes in my head as he thumbed through the shelves looking for that memory from his childhood. Upstairs and all of a sudden he kissed me on my mouth, smiling quietly as he pulled away; a shared joke I was yet to know the punchline to.
Later we lay still on the grass, my head on his chest, his hand in my hand, and I counted his heartbeats out loud until the numbers sounded foreign and lost their meaning, a vain attempt to stop time.

No comments:

Post a Comment