Tuesday, July 10, 2012

A compass with which to bring forth tiny connections

When it got complicated for a second
I tied knots around sticks
with string wrapped around my waist
so as not to lose my way to here
from some place else
where grass had grown
taller than where my eyes could see
and I would be reminded
that I had forgotten my name,
or what it meant,
in a world that grows bigger than unending.
Each night I stood close to fires
so the heat could warm my skin
and turn it red
and the amber flames might burn inside of me
and the light they made could fill my eyes
and it could be great.
He and her whispered what they had learnt
into glasses that were only half empty
and I drank up each one
until both they and I were full
and I was heavy enough to be the bottom line
from which to build upwards into sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment