Saturday, May 14, 2011

It would be easier to believe

Here's my latest poem for CreatureMag
Lots of trying things have happened to both me and those around me in the last month or so which has led to a lot of talk about free will and whether or not God exists. It has also encouraged discussion about ones own strength and ability to overcome trials and whether this would be easier to do if you believed that a higher power had a hand in the things you experienced.


It would be easier to believe,
because life is fact
and ease is hard to come by.
My eyes aren't open and
I lay as today becomes something else to remember
and the world fills with yet more holes.
If I was certain that what I was looking for was more than wishful thinking
I would search around corners and up stairs
take journeys to places where water tastes different
and people smile for other reasons.
I would take chances on good
and sing songs in bustling streets.

For now I count seventeen penny coins in my hand
and throw them onto the ground.
Knowing that I changed the way the earth looks
and the distance closed a little
I continue forward,
and I continue to search,
because there is nothing else I know
and I want to be certain.

No comments:

Post a Comment